Applications are submitted using the smartsimple.ca application portal operated by SOCAN Foundation. All information must be entered, and material be uploaded to the application portal by 11:59 PM EDT on August 15 including:
– A PDF of an up-to-date curriculum vitae that includes information about education, training, and related experience of composing music in the area of dance, opera or music theatre.
– A PDF of a score to a dance, opera or music theatre work that has received a professional premiere performance within the last three calendar years prior to the competition’s deadline. This work could have received workshop presentations in earlier years prior to the professional premiere.
– A URL link to a recording or video that matches the score submitted on either YouTube or Vimeo. Recognizing that this could be an archival recording that is not available for public viewing, it is up to the applicant to ensure that the link works. It is also acceptable to submit excerpts from the complete work, but these should be clearly indicated.
– Paste directly into the application a thoughtful statement of no more than 750 words, that describes the composer’s mid-career profile and how the Award would be used to help advance the applicant’s career.
Application Terms and Conditions
By submitting an application to the Lori Davies Mid-Career Composer Award, the applicant acknowledges and agrees that:
– SOCAN Foundation also has the right, to require proof of identity and/or eligibility, for the purposes of verifying eligibility qualification and administering the Award. Failure to provide such proof to SOCAN Foundation’s satisfaction within any specified timeline may result in disqualification;
– The musical work submitted in this application is an original work and that the applicant is the sole creator of the work’s music;
– Candidates must provide a short biography of no more than 250 words and photo that will be used only for publicity purposes of the winner (jury members will not see this);
– SOCAN Foundation has permission to publish the Award winner’s name in a press release and circulate this information widely on appropriate websites, accounts on social media platforms and any other channels; and,
Confirm that as the applicant, you have read and understood the Eligibility Criteria above and these Application Terms and Conditions and agree to be legally bound by these Application Terms and Conditions.